Prep time: 15 min
Bake time: 60 min
Servings: 1 Cake with 12 - 16 slices
3/8 cup sunflower oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups self raising gluten free flour, sifted (or plain flour with 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 3/4 tsp baking soda)
1 can pear halves in syrup, drained and each cut into about 4 wedges (depending on the size you will probably need 5 halves) You could also use very soft fresh pears.
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a 22cm round springform (or loose based) cake tin with baking paper.
2) Beat oil, sugar and vanilla together until light.
3) Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
4) Sift all dry ingredients together into a separate bowl.
5) Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, mixing only until combined.
6) Scoop into the tin. The mixture will be stiff, so you will need to spread it out over the pane.
7) Place the pears on the top however you think looks nice. Don't press them in and try not to have them too big otherwise they will sink into the cake.
8) Bake for 50 min to 1hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9) Remove from the tin and dust with the powdered sugar.
10) Serve warm or cold.