600 g (21 oz) dried split peas
2 Liters (8 1/3 cups) water
100 g (4 oz) bacon, whole pieces Hormel Natural Choice Uncured Bacon
150 g (7 oz) leeks, cut into thin Ringe
400 g (14 oz) finely carrots diced
200 g (7 oz) whole piece of cellery, peeled, 600 g (21 oz) potatoes cut into small cubes
4 shallots, diced
4 Tbsp sunflower oil
1000 (34 oz)ml bone broth
2-3 tsp salt
Optional(high in salicylates): 4 bay leaves
1) Soak the dried peas overnight, at least 12 hours) in 2 liters (8 1/3 cups) of water
2) The next day, bring the pot to a boil, and then let simmer on medium heat for 30 min.
3) Add bacon, and let simmer for another 30 min.
4) Meanwhile, dice shallots (3 seconds/speed 7) and sautee them in a pan on medium heat.
5) Dice carrots (7 seconds/speed 4.5)
6) Cut leek into this slices, and cut potato into small half inch cubes.
7) Peel the celery, and leave it in large pieces so you can take it back out later.
8) Add shallots, carrots, leek, potato, celery, broth, and 2 tsp salt to soup. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
9) Take out the bacon and celery pieces.
10) Briefly puree the soup with a handheld puree blender, or mash its little bit with a potato masher.
Optional: Add diced ham to soup. I leave this out because I haven't found a ham with the right ingredients yet.
11) Let simmer on low for another 15 min, and then salt to taste. I ended up adding 1 more tsp salt.
12) Serve warm.