3 cups (415 g) raw, organic, unsalted hazelnuts
1/3 to 2/3 cup (96 g / 3.4 ounces) dairy free dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer. 2) Roast for 8-10 minutes just to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins. This will make it easier to blend into butter.
3) Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then place a large kitchen towel over the pan and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins. The more skins that you remove, the creamier the Nutella will be.
4) Leaving excess skin behind, add hazelnuts to a food processor, high speed blender, or Thermomix. If not using a Thermomix, blend on low until a butter is formed - about 8-10 minutes total - scraping down sides as needed.
With a Thermomix, grind 7 seconds at speed 10.
5) Scrape down the sides, and then mix for 2 minutes at speed 6.
6) Scrape the nut butter down the sides of the bowl. Then mix for 4 min at speed 4, stopping in the middle to scrape the bowl.
7) In the meantime, heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Set aside.
8) Once the hazelnut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate and sea salt.
9) Blend/puree again until well incorporated. With a Thermomix, 1 minute at speed 3, stopping once to scrape down the sides.
10) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more melted chocolate or salt if desired.
We are watching our sugar right now, so I only use 1/3 cup of Enjoy dark chocolate chips for 3 cups of hazelnuts.
11) Transfer to a clean jar and store at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more.